Tuesday, April 21, 2009

No Regrets

(Below is the full text of Mrs. Chona Pereña's testimonial during Tarlac Center's ASHR Awarding Ceremonies last April 19, 2008.)

It is an honor for me to stand before you today to talk about my eldest daughter and her experiences with Kumon. I know, that as parents, we all want what is best for our children, that is why I believe that through Kumon, I have successfully provided my daughter with the necessary skills that would help her succeed in the future.

I enrolled my daughter when she was still in preschool, during Preparatory, at the young age of 6. I remember bringing her to the center to take a diagnostic test in the Reading Program.

To my surprise, after only 3 months in the Reading program, she performed very well, and even became the Rank 1 in her class. Now that she is in Grade 5, my daughter continues to maintain her class standing. During her school’s recognition day last March, she attained overall 2nd honor and was even outstanding in inter-school competitions.

It is my belief that Kumon has helped shape and mold her into the kind of student that she is today. As a Kumon parent for more than 5 years, I would like to share that the journey was not easy. There were a lot of struggles in the midst of this success. As her levels in Kumon got higher, the harder it became for her to answer, especially when she entered Level EI. That was the time I felt that she wanted to give up. She had a hard time answering her worksheets to the point she was just sitting and staring at her worksheet with tears in her eyes, saying “Mommy, ang hirap.”

As a parent, we must handle situations like these very carefully. I could have just told my daughter right there and then to stop doing the worksheets, kasi advanced na naman siya eh. It would have been so much easier for me both emotionally and financially to just tell my daughter to quit Kumon. But that was not the lesson I wanted to teach her. I wanted her to finish what she started. I wanted her to learn perseverance in the midst of difficulty. I did not want to teach her to quit every time things becomes tough. The worksheets she was doing was advanced for her age, that was why she was experiencing difficulty. So what I did was to encourage and motivate her. I sat with her and supported her while she was doing them. I reminded her that “quitters never win and winners never quit.”

Last summer, I even had the idea of enrolling her in the Kumon Math Program because I wanted her to do something more with her time. Lineth was almost finished with Level FII at that time. However, Teacher Audrey suggested that Lineth concentrate in Reading . She encouraged Lineth to do more worksheets, as many as she can and as many as she wants. And I was very happy with the result.

During the months of April and May last year, Lineth was able to finish 3 Levels in the Reading Program. Levels G, H, and I. She was doing 50 sheets a day, every day, for two months. And the tuition fee that I paid was the same. Had I enrolled her in Math, then I would have to pay tuition fee for two subjects. But Teacher Audrey was not after our money, she wanted Lineth to become a completer, and by taking advantage of the summer months, we were able to make that dream come true.

Through God’s grace and provision I am very happy and thankful that my daughter, Lineth will complete the Reading Program next month. I am happy because for the first time in more than five years, I no longer have to pay the tuition fee (joke). But seriously, I never regretted enrolling my daughter in Kumon. Kumon developed my child very well, thus enabling her to become an achiever and be the best that she can be. I would like to thank Kumon, especially Teacher Audrey and Lineth’s Reading Teacher for all these years, Teacher Angie Castro, for their hardwork, dedication and moral support. Teachers, thank you for encouraging Lineth and for believing in her potential.

To all parents in this hall, believe in your child, even when they start doubting themselves. It is only when we believe in them, will they have to confidence to face life’s challenges and difficulties.

God Bless us all!

Name of Child: LINETH ABIGAEL PEREÑA
Name of Parent: MRS. CHONA PEREÑA
Center: TARLAC CENTER (Philippines)

No comments:

Post a Comment